»

Friday, August 1, 2008

Going What? Yes, Cloth! I think!

Before the babies came home, I had considered and researched a bit about cloth diapers. We have a fantastic lady at our Church that uses them and she shared TONS of information with me. Thank you Kelli! I was excited and ready to go and then, the inevitable happened, I chickened out. The research is really what overwhelmed me at a very emotional time in my life and I just could not think about it. I couldn't think about the products, the stuff I needed, what do you do with the DO? (the pooh?!), what about MORE laundry? All those things consumed me and I ran to Walmart and bought my standard LUVS.

And, then I thought it's too late. I have used LUVS for so long now that the initial investment for cloth will be too much. But I was still interested. The more I read, the more convicted I became and it had nothing to do with cost. It has everything, for me, to do with 2 things (1) I hold the LUVS in my hand and they are scratchy and harsh. This may be sharing too much for some, but I think would I really want to wear a maxi pad all day, every day? NO! And then (2) was the bigger factor, honestly, the mounds of diapers I dispose of every week. 2 LARGE STUFFED 13 gallon trash bags full!!!! Every Tuesday night and every Friday night. Multiply that times 52. Every year I am putting 104 stuffed full 13 gallon trash bags into the local city dump.

So, for the earth and for my babies, NOT FOR ME, I am going to try it. My DH is oh so hesitant but on board if I think it's important.

I spent some time researching and I will most more as I go on this trial journey. But so far, here is what I am trying for step 1.

I bought 2 of these lovely little dipes. They are so very cute and they are called All In Ones (AIO). I bought this exact color, Celery, because it's unisex. You treat it as a normal disposable diaper, nothing special except washing it.



For night time, I bought these to go with it, called "doublers", meaning they double the absorbency.


These THIRSTIES brands are all over the Internet. I found the best sale yesterday at Mom and Baby Naturally.

And, then while researching I was also convicted that I wanted to buy the best material possible, at the most affordable rate. From everything I read, HEMP, seems to be the best material for Cloth Diapers. So, after researching the brands, I decided on what's called a Fitted Diaper from Cricketts. They are made of a Hemp blend, have the best reviews of any CD I read about so far and I have high hopes for them. The reason they are called a Fitted instead of an AIO is because fitted requires that you put on a diaper cover over them. A diaper cover is waterproof and there are tons to choose from. I bought both from Crickett.
Here is the Hemp fitted diaper. Looks comfy. She sells each of them with a snap in insert for extra absorbency. (I bought 4 of these.)

This is the diaper cover she recommends and sells on her site. It's the Bummis Snap. I bought 2 of these, 1 for each baby. As, you do not need 1 cover per dipe. I read you can sometimes use the same cover for up to 4 diapers.


For more on the other products you will need, check out Kelli's information. She has now posted it on her web. She really is the original person who inspired me and she has used them for 3 babies now. So she knows the routine well and is a trusted source. Plus, I have cared for her babies in the nursery at Church and am familiar with her products. But, she likes Fuzzi Bums and they were a bit out of my pocket book range. I would have bought them though had I started with child 1 or 2 instead of the last year with children 3 and 4.

You can also read up on my friend, Courtney's, blog. She is the one I read up on the Thirsties from. She also recommends another one from Primm N Proper, that I researched but was confused on how to order, so I might try to those when I can figure it out (they are made custom and I'm not familiar enough with all the terms to know what I would want in a custom diaper).

And, if you are considering cloth, remember the MOST important 2 things are (1) the quality and fit of the diaper you are buying and (2) the washing instructions. If you care for them wrong, they will not work. Things like perfumes in detergent and fabric softener will basically ruin them, making them non-absorbent.

So, wish me LUCK. I will update more when I get them in and actually try them.

No comments: